Monday, May 9, 2011

Avoid Crowbars...Or Not Doesn't Matter to Me

So I tried to do this half a month ago but my internet pooped out on me. So here I am to do a full month’s blog. This is going to be interesting for sure... where has this month gone?
Anyways way back on the last day of March. Alayna and I were taken to the airport by my third host family and we met with the rest of the YE students from my district and we started out on our fabulous 10 day Chaing Mai trip. We flew up to Chiang Mai and started our adventure with a fantastic dinner. In Chiang Mai we went a tiger zoo and an elephant camp. We also got to hit up the famous Chaing Mai night market where I got to spend lots of my money. After Chaing Mai, we visited temples, home stays, and the Himalayas. It was really beautiful and even though I got a little sick at one point it was okay.
When we finally made it to Chaing Rai we got to visit the famous golden triangle and we even got to cross into Laos and buy awesome knock off goods like sunglasses and purses. After we were taken to a museum that told the history of opium and Thailand’s involvement. We were also taken to see the tourist orientated hilltribe area. It was amazing to see something in person after seeing it so many times in photographs. The ladies really had the elongated necks and stretched ears. They were extremely beautiful in a ver exotic way. We were then rushed to see the White temple which had murals of batman and iron man (that part made me so happy). The temple itself was breathtaking and I’m so glad we were able to see it. The last stop in Chaing Rai was a famous garden dedicated to the princess’ mother.
After Chaing Mai we were driven high into the northern mountains to visit tea farms. We also got to play in the rain and act like beached whales. Traveling from there we got to take the extreme winding roads to Pai, a beautiful little hippy town where I fell in love with the walking street and bought sabai pants and books. I also got to watch the moon rise up over Pai with some of my closest friends.
All too soon we were driving back to Chaing Mai to spend one last night in the northern city. We spent it out on the town. The last day was spent at the Chaing Mai zoo which involved fish, falangs, snow, and pizza company. Before we knew it we were then back at the airport and figuring out plans for Songkran.
When we touched down in Bangkok everyone parted ways, though agreeing to have one last bash in Bangkok. 
I broke off with Alayna, Tyhlo, and Bryce as we headed for Bryce’s town of Korat. We would be spending the next week there for Songkran, which is Thai New year.
We took the evening bus and arrived late at the house. After a long sleep we hit the mall with everyone who would be part of our Songkran group. That included Cat, Susie, Giulia, Ray, Heather, Emily, and Inken. We went swimming and even met an AFS exchange student named Dom who was funny though so serious. 
We got some mexican food and went to Banana which was a fun time. 
finally Wednesday and the first day of Songkran rolled around. From the window the day didn’t seem that excited so me and Inken decided to go to 7 to check things out. We got soaked... alright rewind. lets all have a lesson on Songkran. Its a 3 day festival held throughout Thailand celebrating Thai New Year. it is a massive city wide water fight where people party in the streets from the crack of dawn till the moon is high in the sky. People will throw water on you or run up and cover your face in a baby powder/water goo for good luck. 
Our trip to 7 pumped us all up and we headed out into the streets towards the center of the action. We partied in fountains, danced when everyone was looking and had more then one creepy thai guy kiss us. 
We met up with some Rotex and their store became our home base, We soon found ourselves dancing in the streets and just generally having the best time.. I don’t even know how to explain how amazing it was.
Anyways when it started to get dark we headed back to Bryce’s house and got ourselves cleaned up by all showering together in our bathing suits in a space that was meant for a midget. 
The next day we woke up with energy to burn out on the streets so we headed out as early as possible. We found our way to the base and we started our day. This day was a little bit different. We spent it all at the  store which is on the side of a major songkran road. we stood with buckets of water tossing it at people int he back of the trucks as they passed us at a snails pace. Met a lot of falangs from all over the world as the day passed. Some people headed home early and the rest of us ended up in one hell of a dance party in the middle of the road outside a mall. It was tons of fun thoguh at one point there were too many creepy guys for our small group of girls but we made it out okay besides a face lick.
I got the fun job of escorting to Brasilians back to Bryce’s which was a hard job as it seemed every boy wanted to touch their face and tell them how beautiful they were. When we finally made it back to the house it was pretty dark. the rest of the day was spent showering, talking and just thinking about life in Thailand. 
The last day of Songkran rolled around and before we knew it we were back at the shop.This time we walked up and down the street just seeing everyone standing outside their stores and the happiness that seemed to ooze from everyone. We munched on hotdogs and KFC and  danced till we couldn’t dance anymore. People had drifted home in groups through out the day and I ended up going home by myself which was less scary then i thought it would be. After I had showered and changed Tyhlo and Iwent to 7 and were almost soaked again had we not shouted at the tops of our lungs for the man with the tub to stop. 
Songkran over all was literally the best time I’ve had in Thailand. It was three days of water, powder goo, dancing, laughing, It was magical.
We hit up the mall one more time with the songkran crew and went to see Rio which some of the Brasilians so it was a lot of fun.
Anyways we hit up Banana one more time having a blast. i even met with awesome Norwegian guy named Bent, we had some great laughs and talks and it was a great end to the week over all. 
All too soon Alayna and I were on the bus back home to Sriracha. Alayna was pretty sick with a cold and I was just bagged from all the traveling but we made it to her house unscratched. I found out that my third host family couldn’t pick me up for a week so instead I got to go with Alayna to stay a week with her second host family.
They took us out for dinner and were really nice and that night the host sister and even the host mom took us out to a club. The host mom came out with us. It was a fun time and the place played some good songs.
Most of the week we actually just spent around the house, but it was still nice. The family was all really kind and they let us play their playstation which seemed quite alien to these xbox hands. 
On the weekend the host family took us to Dream World which was a blast. We hit up all the rides, got soaked, played in the show world like true falang, and had a good time until the rain kinda ruined the party. oh well. We made it back to the house without any harm. 
The next day was mostly just packing and then the night market where I bougt some gifts for people which has made me wonder... should i buy gifts? If i buy gifts for one person i feel like I have to buy gifts for everyone. This trip is more about me, not about getting people something, right? I’m just in question right now about everything.
After the week ended We were sent back to Alayna’s house where I was finally picked up by my host family and taken to Bangkok.. before being promptly being returned to Alayna’s house for the fact that we were going to head to Trat together. 
Trat is Jessica’s town and we were able to squeeze in to visit at the same time as Inken, Emily, and Sussie. We packed up and headed out for Trat, a four hour bus ride later and we were in Trat meeting up with the other falangs. We fuond each other then headed out to the island of Koh Chang. The island was gorgeous and we of course hit the beach as soon as possible. 
There was much swimming, lounging around, smiling, and CCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLssss passed around. It was a great girls week though I got pretty dang sick with a fever, horrible back pains, and such a light head I almost started to float. Though it ended with me going to a pharmacy and talking with the really cute guy behind the counter. 
Bought another dress which i think shall probably my dress buying career. Actually I think my spending career is coming to a close so that I can make it through the rest of my exchange and still make it one the trips I want to go on. Let see how well my extreme budgeting goes.
Anyways the Island week passed ina  flash and low and behold I’m back on Alayna’s bedrooms floor waiting for the bus tonight to take us to khon kaen..
alright I know this blog was verbal diarrhea and was all over the place, but hey, at least its a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having the best times of your whole trip and are really getting to experience the Thai way. Keep packing all that you can in for the short time left and don't worry about presents for everyone. If you have money left two days before you come home then consider buying for people, otherwise just go for the memories! Mom